Saturday, November 19, 2016

We Go to a Land Down Under -- Fin

A little bit of this, a little bit of that


Friday, Oct. 14


The Twelve Apostles. All the photos in this post
are random -- not related to any of the text

The flight home
I won’t go into the trip home except to say that fewer people are heading to America than we came over with, so the flight attendants encourage the passengers to spread out. This time a young man is seated in our row, taking the window seat. The flight attendants tell us several times that we can feel free to spread out and take one of the empty seats. They start out addressing their comments directly to him and then mention that we can move if we want to. Obviously, they're trying to keep us together. But the young man shows no inclination to move.

Finally, Sharon decides to move to another seat so she'll have enough room to work on her quilt. She's in the middle seat, so I have to get up to let her out. By the time I'm ready to return to my seat, the kid has flipped up the arm next to him and stretched out across the middle seat, with his feet hanging down in front of my seat.

I don't stay long before another attendant tells me there's an empty row by the rear exit door of the plane. I decide to take her up on the offer. It's wonderful. I have all kinds of space, and I'm right next to the galley.

When it comes time to return to my assigned seat for landing, the kid has taken over the entire row and scattered belongings and trash throughout the area. He doesn't seem happy when I come back and make him move.

Kookaburra


The people
I’m impressed with the Aussies we run into. By and large they’re friendly and accommodating, and many of the ones we talk to seem genuinely concerned that we are having a good trip and enjoying their country. And the phrase “No worries, mate” doesn't seem to be just a saying; It’s an attitude.

You'll notice that I've posted no pictures of Aboriginal people. We were told they don't like having their photos taken -- as much to avoid just being curiosities for the tourists as anything else, I expect -- but would sometimes allow it if they were asked. I decided to respect their desire for privacy and didn't ask.


One of Aaron's pictures of Brandon feeding a wallaby.

The language
No real barriers to communication with people who share the same root language. You do hear all the expressions you've learned from the movies, with a couple of exceptions. During our time I never heard anyone utter the word “crikey.” Doesn't mean they don't say it, but we weren't in situations where it arose. Yes, "mate" is used extensively, and it turns out to be gender neutral.

Also, the only time I heard “sheila” was in a discussion one member of our group was having with Tony. I think we were in a roadhouse and the toilets, the most common word instead of our multitude of euphemisms, were labeled “blokes” and “sheilas.” Seemed kinda kitschy to me, like labeling restrooms in Mexican food place with “caballeros” and “damas,” or the seemingly infinite variety of labels you can encounter in barbecue joints.

One last foodie break
The Aussies have this concoction they developed called vegemite. The English have something similar called marmite, which Aussies used to eat before the big war. But the war disrupted shipments, so the Aussies came up with their own version.

Aussie humor
This has to be the nastiest concoction I believe I’ve ever tasted. It's made from leftover yeast extract used in brewing beer along with some spices, salt and other stuff. I gather the exact makeup is a secret, like Colonel Sanders’ spices or Dr Pepper’s flavors.

I was once asked how overly sugary stuff tastes to me since my sense of taste was altered but couldn’t explain because I had no frame of reference. If I were asked now, I’d refer to vegemite, though that might not translate to anyone who’s ever tasted vegemite because I don’t know what that tastes like to them.

According to Tony, vegemite is an acquired taste, as in growing up with the stuff being fed to you your entire childhood can cause you to acquire the taste. Of course I’d wager that almost everyone has some food they grew up with they won’t touch now. For me it's rutabagas. Didn’t like it then and still don’t. He also says the best way to eat it is to take a thick slice of bread, toast it, spread a generous amount of butter on it and then add a thin layer of vegemite on top of that. If you're curious, the boys tried it that way and still didn’t like it.

I think I mentioned that catsup is called “tomato sauce,” and you get take-away food, not to go. The one puzzler, if it hadn't been pointed out to us, would have been “capsicum,” what we would call bell pepper.

I once produced a parody of the Dos Equis' Most Interesting Man in the World in which I said, “I don't often drink beer, but when I do, I prefer whatever someone else is buying.” Several of our group meals have drinks included, and I take the opportunity to try the beers. I'm sure they were all major-brand, run of the mill beers, but I like all the ones I tried. Still, I'm no connoisseur. Tony doesn't seem to think much of them. The boys try out a brand that Tony likes and seem to agree it's better than the other brands we've sampled.

One of 72 fish sculptures created for the 2006 Commonwealth
Games. Each country was represented by a different species
of fish. They are scattered around Melbourne; this one is near
our hotel.

Architecture
The people who colonized Australia, convicts and officials sent with them to maintain control, were Brits. This explains why in a country so vast, with room to spread out, the older parts of cities are dominated by narrow roads and houses in the Victorian style, crammed together with postage stamp yards. I suspect this is less true in the newer suburbs, but like anywhere, the more property you want for your homestead, the more it’ll cost you.

But even taking into consideration the difference in the exchange rate, average home costs in the urban areas we visited seem to be higher than a comparable home would be in Dallas-Fort Worth. I could be mistaken about that given my limited perceptions, but I often wonder, after hearing Tony talk or seeing an item on the news, just how in the world people afford to live there. Maybe the average wages are better.

Money
The smallest denomination bill the Aussie print is a fiver. They mint coins in 5 cent, 10 cent, 20 cent and 50 cent versions, each distinctly different from each other. And they mint $1 and $2 coins. The bills are different sizes, with the $5 being the smallest and the $50 the largest. I'm sure they have bigger denomination bills, but these were the ones we always worked with. The bills are made from plastic, I think, and some of them have clear sections. Aaron received a fiver that had large, clear sections in it and said he heard they don't work well in vending machines.

A ten-percent tax is built into the cost of everything you buy, and because they don't have pennies, any price that works out to less than a multiple of five is rounded. This happens frequently in the grocery stores, where produce is priced by the pound, and the sale price of our TimTams came out to A$1.83. On one of our shopping trips, I miscalculated the price, and rounding up put it a nickel past the amount of change in my pocket. While I was reaching for a fiver to substitute for all the coins, the checker dug in his pocket and supplied the nickel. What a nice guy.

The end

So, that was our trip, more or less. I'm sure I've left a multitude of items out. Now, looking back, it's almost a dream, one I would mind having again, but we have so much more to explore, so unless someone wants to start a Go Fund Me just to get me out of the country again, I expect we'll move on to other adventures.

Bondi Beach


No comments:

Post a Comment